Males tend to accumulate and store fat in different areas that females. The most common areas for liposuction include the abdomen, the flanks “love handles”, the chest wall (male breast reduction), and the neck and chin.
Men with good skin elasticity will and very little to no extra or loose skin will be often be excellent candidates for liposuction to improve body contour
Usually a day surgery procedure, liposuction is often performed under general anesthetic, though small areas of liposuction can be done under local anesthetic as well. The length of surgery is dependent on the location and amount of fat removed.
To aid in the removal of fat, minimize blood loss, and fluid balance shifts a fluid (tumescent solution) is injected prior to the procedure. Minimal access incisions (5 mm) are used adjacent to the surgical site.
The compression garment is put on at the end of the procedure.
Here are some things to expect after your surgery:
- It’s normal for the fluid to leak from the small incision sites for up to 48 hours after the operation.
- The garment is removed for the first time one week after the procedure. It is to be worn day and night for the next four weeks (other than in the shower).
- Bruising at the site of surgery an last 7-10 days.
- You may resume regular daily activities the next day, but should refrain from vigorous exercise for 4 weeks.
- Typically patients will require 3-7 days of downtime.